Friday, November 29, 2013

What's in a Name?

I knew how to spell my older sister's name before I learned how to spell my own.

When we were growing up, playground introductions went something like this:




"Hi!  I'm Susan!"








"Hi!  I'm Cathy!" 







"Hi!  I'm Becky!" 







"Hi!  I'm Lisa!"








My sister would say, "Hi!  I'm Calina!"










"What?  WHAT'S your name?"










"Calina..."










"Colleen?"










"No...CALINA."










"Katrina?"











"Calina.  C-A-L-I-N-A.  Calina."






When I entered first grade, the teacher told us we were going to learn how to spell our names.








I stood up and announced that I ALREADY knew how to spell my name!  "C-A-L-I-N-A"!




She told me to sit down.



Nurse's Note:  Thus began my long Icarusian fall within the education system.


No comments:

Post a Comment