Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Best Test

There used to be a commercial showing an old lady griping about the meat on her hamburger.  In the commercial, she repeated,  "Where's the beef?" 

Around that time, my stepfather and I went to a fast food restaurant.  The lunch rush was on, but after he got his food, he didn't step away from the counter.  He unwrapped the hamburger, opened the bun and pushed it at the girl behind the counter.  

"Where's the beef?" he demanded,

She froze.  "Wh--"

"I said, 'WHERE'S THE BEEF?'"

The girl flinched visibly.  Her mouth opened, but nothing came out.  People were staring.

"Well?"  he demanded.

"I don't know," she finally whispered.

"Well, WHO KNOWS?"  he yelled.






Confucius said:  "When three of us walk together, I have two teachers."   Here's what my stepfather taught me that day:

The best test of a person's character is how they handle POWER.    Everyone is charming and polite to their boss.   It proves nothing.  How do they treat the people they have no reason to fear? 

When out on a date, pay attention to how your partner treats the waitress, the maid, the janitor and the busboy. 

That's how he's going to treat you when you've quit your job to raise his children and you're pregnant with your second child.






No comments:

Post a Comment